Using candles safely in your home is incredibly important because fire can be deadly. Burning an open flame indoors should be taken seriously at all times to keep yourself, your family and your property safe. Please read this guide thoroughly before lighting your new scented candle inside your home.
Candle safety should be taken seriously at all times.
Keep a burning candle within sight…
Even when you have followed all the other safety advice within this article, you must never leave a candle burning unattended. Fire is unpredictable, so always be aware of how your candle is behaving. If your candle isn’t burning properly, if it smokes, flickers, or the flame becomes too high, extinguish the candle, let it cool, trim the wick and check for drafts before relighting.
Make sure the candle is fully extinguished before leaving the room or falling asleep. Be sure that the wick ember has stopped glowing.
KEEP BURNING CANDLES OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS!
Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire…
Make sure that there is nothing flammable in the vicinity of your scented candle. Keep burning candles away from furniture, curtains and drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, clothing, hair etc.
Don’t place your candles under shelves as there is a lot of heat above a burning candle. There should be at least 1m between the candle flame and the surface above it.
We recommend using a candle holder specifically designed for candle use. The holder should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to catch any drips or hot melted wax. Candles should be held firmly upright by the holder so that the don’t fall over or out. Make sure that the candle holder is placed on a stable heat-resistant surface to avoid heat damage to surfaces and prevent glass containers from breaking.
Once the candle is lit, never touch or move it. It is dangerous to pickup the candle while it is still burning or while the liquid wax is hot.
Making sure that you place the candle away from any drafts, vents, fans or air currents will prevent rapid and uneven burning, avoid flare-ups and sooting. Draughts can also blow nearby lightweight items into the flame where they could catch fire.
Keep burning candles at least 10cm away from each other, this will stop the candles melting each other or creating their own drafts which would cause uneven and improper burning.
How to Extinguish your scented candle…
Don’t burn your candle all the way to the bottom. It is generally recommended to stop using the candle once there is only 1.5cm of wax left if it is a container candle. For other candles, burning should be discontinued once there is only 5cm of wax left.
It is always best to use a snuffer when extinguishing candles. Snuffing out the candle using a specially made snuffer is the safest way to avoid accidentally knocking over the candle and preventing hot wax splatters. You can also use a metal spoon if you don’t own a snuffer.
NEVER EXTINGUISH A CANDLE WITH WATER! The water can cause hot wax to splatter and might make a glass container to break.
Keep your candle in top nick…
Once the candle has been extinguished and let cool, trim the candlewicks to 7mm before you next light it. A long or crooked wick can cause an uneven burn and dripping. It is also important to keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times as these things can catch fire.
Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax from a glass holder as they might scratch, weaken or cause the glass to break when the candle is next lit.
Always read and follow the manufacturer’s use and safety instructions carefully.
Each candle is different so make sure that you thoroughly read and follow each manufacturers instructions on correct lighting, burning and extinguishing. Don’t burn a candle longer than the manufacturer recommends.